Born: October 22, 1963, Dearborn, Michigan
Occupation: San Jose City Councilmember, Small Business Owner and Retired San Jose Police Officer
Interests: Photography, Barbecuing & Grilling, and Blogging
Education: M.A., Leadership, St. Mary’s College; B.A., Management, St. Mary’s College
Spouse: Julie Constant
Children: Alexandra, Amanda, Pete Jr., Samantha and Sydney
Religion: Greek Orthodox
San José Councilmember Pete Constant represents Council District 1, the region of West San José bordering Santa Clara, Saratoga, Cupertino and Campbell. Re-elected in June 2010, he first took office in January 2007 and has since focused on public safety, economic development, open government, and regional land planning. Councilmember Constant is currently appointed to the Rules and Open Government and Public Safety, Finance, and Strategic Support Committees for the City of San José.
Prior to serving as a San José Councilmember, Constant served for 14 years as a San José Police Officer. After suffering a career-ending injury during an undercover operation, he continued his public service on the San José Appeals Hearing Board and as a neighborhood association leader. He worked full-time as a professional photographer and built a number of small businesses in West San José. During his time on the police force, Constant received numerous letters of commendation, including the Day-to-Day Excellence Award, Project Crackdown Officer of the Year, City Manager’s Award of Excellence, and Employee Suggestion Award (that saved the department approximately $65,000 per year). He was also a director for the San José Police Officers’ Association.
Constant is an adjunct professor of Leadership at St. Mary’s College, his Alma Mater, where he earned his Bachelor of Arts Degree in Management and his Master of Arts Degree in Leadership. He has also completed Leadership programs through the League of California Cities, San José State University, Santa Clara University, and San José Silicon Valley Chamber of Commerce. He is currently participating in the American Leadership Forum program of Silicon Valley. Constant has earned certifications on Pension, Benefits, Hedge Funds, Investments, and Management programs from University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School of Business and Stanford Law School.
Councilmember Constant resides in San José with his wife Julie, their two sets of twins: Alexandra and Amanda, Pete Jr. and Samantha, and their youngest daughter Sydney.
Councilmember Constant’s other responsibilities include:
- National League of Cities Public Safety and Crime Prevention, Steering Committee Member
- AHEPA (Greek-American Service Organization), Member
- San José/Santa Clara Clean Water Financing Authority, Chair
- Santa Clara County Local Agency Formation Commission, Commissioner
- Silicon Valley Regional Interoperability Authority, Co-Chair
- Aging Strategic Plan Leadership Group, Co-Chair
- Appeals Hearing Board, Liaison
- Deferred Compensation Advisory Committee, Liaison
- Family/Domestic Violence Advisory Board, Co-Chair
- Federated Employees Retirement Board, Member
- Pension Reform Task Force, Chair
- Police Activities League, Board Member
- San José Sports Authority, Board Member
- San José Vision Committee, Chair
- Senior Nutrition Task Force, Co-Chair
- Seniors Commission, Liaison
- Strategic Plan for Persons with Disabilities Office of Therapeutic Services Advisory Board, Chair
- Team San José, Liaison